Sunday, March 30, 2008

Another Casualty for the Romance Genre

Spring Break is a memory, the bruises are fading from St. Patrick’s Day, and the Easter Bunny has hopped on down the bunny trail. I’m extremely late in blogging, and my conscience, aka Hannah, will no longer allow my laziness. So, this one is for Hannah.

Last summer, Hannah begged and pleaded to read The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever by Julia Quinn. Her pleas began after she heard my laughter while I read it. I succumbed. Why not? I was the same age when I picked up my first romance novel, A Rose In Winter by Kathleen Woodiwiss. Hannah is not exactly the most respectful of other people’s things, mainly my stuff, so I could not stomach handing over my copy of Secret Diaries. I bought her a copy to read on her trip with her Gram, my mother. When Hannah gleefully showed Gram her reading material, my mother’s eyes took on the look of a deer in headlights. I reminded her that I read romance novels at Hannah’s age. My mother replied by telling Hannah, “Save all your questions for your mother. I don’t want to hear it. I mean it.” And Hannah shockingly obeyed. (Obeying of any demand is a rarity for Hannah. She’s the typical, high school teenager.)

When Hannah returned from her trip, she praised Secret Diaries and Julia Quinn. She told all her friends about the book. I overheard her tell one of her friends, “When I get ready to marry, I’m finding a man like that.” When she told me the same thing, I laughed and told her, “Good luck.” Hannah read Secret Diaries a second time and put it away, which surprised me. I thought she had been bitten and infected by the romance novel bug, but she hadn’t. Her antidote was Harry Potter.

This past Spring Break, Hannah was reintroduced to the romance genre via her cousin. Kristen is six months younger than Hannah, and she reminds my family so much of me that my sister claims that Hannah should have been her child and Kristen mine. Kristen has been reading romances for about six months now, and her praises of Sabrina Jeffries convinced Hannah that she was missing something. Kristen loaned Hannah two of Sabrina’s books, and Hannah is truly addicted this time around. In the past three weeks, Hannah has consumed eleven romance novels. I hate to think about what her new hobby is doing to her grades. After reading a few of Sabrina Jeffries’ books, she found my “keeper stash” of romances. She’s rapidly consuming Julia’s Bridgerton series, and her next target is Eloisa’s Essex Sisters. I predict another Bon Bon in the making. Kristen is enthused with my stash, too. I’ve explained to both that I’ll share, but to consider me like a lending library. Check out one, read, return, and receive another. Call me “anal.” My books are a passion. Hannah and Kristen are driving their Gram nuts with all their discussions about the heroes in these books. Call my sister and I “amused.” ;-)

Not only is Hannah reading romance, she is craving romance movies. Besides reading eleven novels in three weeks, she’s watched the BBC North & South at least three times, maybe more. She’s smitten with Richard Armitage. Who’s not?!? That man is Adonis come to life. He NEEDS to be seen in more movies. (Bill, if you read this, Richard can’t compare to you. No, I’m not lying to make you feel better. Hannah, stop laughing.)

Hannah’s two newest addictions, romance novels and Richard Armitage, have influenced her plans for the future. My sister, Kristen, and I became the entertained confidants of Hannah’s discoveries during Spring Break. Hannah intends to finish high school, graduate from college, and move to England, home of perfect men, especially Richard. Once in England, she’ll find her ideal man, preferably one with a title, maybe even a duke, but he must have money and that certain charisma. (Now, where have we heard this plan before? How many of us are guilty of this fantasy? *g* ) Hannah decided that she would be able to obtain her goal of her ideal man, or should I say, “hero,” by her special something that sets her apart from most of the female population over the age of 12. Hannah proclaimed to my sister, Kristen, and me that she is special because she is a virgin. The virgin gets her hero in the end of the novel, and if it is good enough for the heroine, then damnit, it’s good enough for her, or so she believes. Now keep in mind, my sister, Kristen, and I are all roaring with laughter at this point of the conversation, but it gets better. Hannah decides that she should create a symbol for special status. Superman has the “S” on his chest; Hannah has the “V.” No, she doesn’t wear a “V” on her chest. Instead, she makes the sign of the “V” with her two index fingers. (Thank you, Jennifer, for helping me with explaining this sign!) Put your hands and fingers together like you were going to do the church, people, and steeple thing-a-ma-jig. When you do the steeple with your index fingers, don’t connect your index fingers at the tips but spread them apart, forming a “V.” This is Hannah’s “virgin symbol.” Ingenious, huh? Yeah, specialness goes hand in hand with ingenious. Now, every time Hannah says the word virgin, she does the “V” sign. Sometimes she doesn’t even say “virgin,” she just does the “V” sign. I wonder if she thinks if that sign will lead her English duke to her in England. Hmmm...makes me think of searching for water in the desert with a stick. Can’t you imagine the headlines in the British newspapers, “Crazy American Voodoo Woman Stalks Actor Richard Armitage With Her “V-ed” Fingers.” I would be a proud mother. My baby would be famous.

I know that Hannah was entertaining us to ease my sister’s mind. Her youngest was going in for an exploratory surgery the following morning. I’m happy to report that my nephew Ryan is doing well now, but he did scare us for a few days.

My daughter is a natural comedian. She’s inherited the comical gene that runs rampant in my family. I’m finding her antics funny. Also, I’m her mother. I want her to remain focused on school and college. (Forget the boys now, Hannah. You have a level head on you shoulders. You’re smart enough to succeed with your dreams.) She plans on seeing the world, and she refuses to jeopardize her dreams with falling for some guy in a small town who drives a muddy pick-up, swaggers in a pair of cowboy boots, thinks camouflage is not only a must for any wardrobe but a decorating phenomena, too, and lacks a British accent. Whoever says that a girl looks for her daddy in her future husband is not always right. However, I’m old enough to know that dreams can always be sidetracked or changed. Love you, Pooh Bear.

What about you? How was your Spring Break? How were the holidays? Does Hannah remind you of yourself when you began reading romance? Last but not least, any advice or well wishes for Hannah?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Richard Armitage can't compare to me?? Eat your heart out ladies, I'm taken!

Anonymous said...

Haha! I knew that V-sign would catch on! I am afraid that when Hannah does travel to England we will not be able to keep her out of the headlines.

MistyJo said...

Kristen, since I expect you to be somewhere in Scotland, looking for a man with a Scottish brogue and nice legs in a kilt, I'll send you the money to post her bond. *g*

Unknown said...

I can't get my three daughters to read romance and I WRITE them. Nobody's volunteered to read mine, which is just as well---because I'm not supposed to know anything about sex. The Easter Bunny delivered all four kids in his basket. Or maybe it was Santa.

My break is not until the 4th week of April and I can't wait.

MistyJo said...

Maggie, LOL! Hannah is the same as your girls about the sex part but with her Gram instead of with me. I guess she thinks that I was placed under a cabbage leaf in the garden by the Easter bunny. My mother mentioned that she wanted to read "Secret Diaries" and Hannah and Kristen told her she couldn't.

Do you have the 4th week in April marked with an array of colored markers on your calendar? ;-)

Terri Osburn said...

That is EXACTLY me at the same age. I was reading McNaught and Woodiwiss and by golly, I was holding out for a hero!

*cue song*

Irony is, it has some full circle. Now, at 36, after having married the redneck in the boots and hat (which is NOT my dad at all), I'm back to holding out for my hero. If Hannah finds herself a Duke, could she see if he has a much older, single, hottie brother? LOL!

And even my 8 yr old is in love with Richard Armitage. I only rented the movie but now I have to buy it because she's dying to watch it over and over. *sigh* I suppose it's better than having to hear High School Musical blaring out of her room one more time.

Anonymous said...

BRING ON THE KILTS!!!

Janga said...

Misty Jo, Hannah and Kristen both sound smart and witty and fun to hang with--just the qualities that characterize Bon Bons. So I definitely see them as well on their way to joining that elite group. :)

Alas! My spring break is long over, but I only have twelve class days left in the semester. That is cause for celebration.

MistyJo said...

Kristen, which one will you choose? The one with the best legs in the kilt or your favorite color of the kilts? ;-)

Terri, Hannah said to tell you that if her Brit has an older, hottie brother, she'll write your name on his forehead with a permanent marker. ;-) You're teaching Isabelle well. Richard Armitage definitely beats High School Musical!

Janga, the girls are fun, and it's a hoot watching them go through my "keeper stash." You would think that they have found a buried treasure or something. And I'm envious of your 12 days remaining. Lucky you! :-) I have 8 weeks left of school, but I'm trying to enjoy each day to the fullest. I told my administrators that I would not be coming back in the fall. Instead, I will be looking for something closer to home (gas prices are killing me!). There are a lot of kids at Ashland that I will miss.

Terri Osburn said...

MistyJo - thank that ever-loving child of yours. And if she ever wants to hang at the beach, send her my way. I even have a full library where she can read until her heart's content.

But wait, maybe not until she's older. All these sailors are quite distracting. *w* We'd hate to throw a kink into her Duke plan.

Elyssa Papa said...

MistyJo, Hannah is a heroine in the making. And tell her thank you for me... she just gave me an idea for a future book. Ask her if I can use her name... if she doesn't get her real-life duke, I'll give her one in a romance novel. *g*

My Spring Break doesn't start until next Monday. Five days away... five long days away. I'm watching Sense and Sensibility (the new ITV one) on PBS right now. Hannah is not a true romance hero until she sees the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice starring the sexy Colin Firth.

But, she's got her Bon Bon badge and I like her no-holds barred/spunky attitude. She's smart.

MistyJo said...

Terri, Hannah is now determined to visit you before she embarks for England. I'm sure that she's thinking that she'll practice her flirting skills with the sailors to better prepare herself for her British adventure. LOL!


Ely, Hannah is thrilled she's helped in inspiring a novel. *g* Feel free to use her name, and she said to tell you are welcomed to her full name if you want to use it, Hannah Elizabeth Mitchell. We both can't wait to read your creation. She says that she'll wear the Bon Bon badge with honor. She started reading Much Ado About You last night. :-) I can't believe that your Spring Break starts next week. I'm counting down the eight weeks until summer break. Though I was told today that my last day is going to be full of tears. Some of the kids are taking my leaving rather badly. They can't feel any worse than I feel. :-(

Anonymous said...

Ohh, Aunt Misty... I think I will choose the one with the best legs!!! LOL

Terri Osburn said...

Misty - I hate to inform you but I'm positive the sailors would be happy to accomodate her. And have I mentioned we have Flyboys, Coasties and Marines too? LOL! Plenty of specimens upon whom she can hone her skills.

Oh, and the surfers aren't bad either!

Anonymous said...

terrio,
Don't give her any ideas. As a Dad, she is killing me already.

Terri Osburn said...

Bill - I have an 8 year old daughter who is going to be 6' tall with legs that go on forever, blond hair and blue eyes. Trust me, my comeuppance is coming. :(