Monday, May 26, 2008

Boxie -by guest blogger Bill

Misty and I have three kids. Hannah is 14 going on 23. Donovan is 11 and a Black Belt in Karate. And then there is Colin.

Colin will be 5 at the end of July. Like a lot of kids he really enjoys watching cartoons. I have gotten him hooked on MY cartoons like Animaniacs, The Simpsons, and, now, Johnny Bravo. He is also into Star Wars and had a great time watching the new Indiana Jones movie yesterday. Colin thinks he is a big kid since he is playing Tee Ball this spring.

Like most overly spoiled four year olds, Colin has way too many toys. They spill out of his room because he refuses to clean it (he takes after his sister who cleans every 4 months, period). He has a ton of stuffed animals. One of his first was a “Bear in the Big Blue House” he picked out at the Disney Store. Since then he has gotten several bears, dogs, and cats. Santa brought him Mickey, Donald, Goofy, and Pluto. His cousin got him Chip and Dale. He stole one of my Opus’s from Bloom County (yes I had 2, what of it?). Colin has dozens of Hot Wheels and almost all of the die cast “Cars”, plus a bunch of “Transformers”, Star Wars action figures, and untold hundreds of toys that will end up at a yard sale in the next couple of years.

Yesterday Colin got a new “toy.” Colin’s big brother came to visit for the next week. They were sitting on the couch watching “Space Balls” when Colin went back to his room and dragged in a small box. Donovan found a sharpie and started drawing on the box. He ended up drawing a face, arms, and a moustache. Boxie was born. Colin and Boxie have been inseparable since. They have joined together in adventures like running into town with me to run errands, watching TV, and defeating Donovan in epic light saber battles. Colin cried a little when Donovan said that Boxie was dead. For a little while they played video games together. Boxie even donned Colin’s Superman cape to become “SuperBoxie.” During the Cub’s game this afternoon, Colin and Boxie were enjoying the game from the floor. All of the sudden, wham! Colin punched Boxie in the “face.” Boxie decided he wanted to wrestle. It’s always an adventure!

In the electronic age where kids spend hours in front of a big screen TV while playing Mario on the Nintendo DS and listening to Hannah Montana on their IPods, it is refreshing to be reminded that it’s the simple things that mean so much in life.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to find a sharpie. I have an old refrigerator box waiting for me in the storage building.
later,
Bill

17 comments:

Terri Osburn said...

I LOVE Opus! Have you seen his Christmas movie? Something about the bird who couldn't fly? I so need to find that on DVD.

Boxie sounds like loads of fun. Smart and can hold his own in a fight. What more could a little boy want?

And my kiddo's first love was Bear in the Big Blue House. I miss that old bear. *sigh* Now she likes boys. Dang it.

Anonymous said...

I have a copy of that book. If you find a copy of "A Wish for Wings that Work" on DVD, I want a copy!!!!

Hang on, let me check ebay....

found it!

bought it!

paid!

It only cost $12.59 with shipping!

Misty it is Terrio's fault that I spent the money. But don't get mad, I bought something that Colin and Boxie can watch together. I might have to watch it with them.

Terri Osburn said...

I'm not taking the blame for that! The least you could have done was ordered two.

*heads over to eBay*

At least I don't have anyone to answer to for spending the money.

*stick tongue out at Bill (the dead cat)*

MistyJo said...

What is this?!? Bill, I let you use my blog, and you let Terri talk you into spending money. LMAO!

Terri, until Carlton Cards discontinued the Bloom County ornament series this past Christmas, Bill was an avid collector of the ornaments. I'll make sure that Bill burns you a copy of the DVD. :-)

Bill, I noticed that Boxie isn't in the den this afternoon. Did Colin take him to his gram's house? *fingers crossed*

Todd said...

Hey there! I tried to find my own "Boxie" on EBAY... but no success.
(Guess I'll cry myself to sleep tonight with MY Opus action figure)

MistyJo said...

LMAO! Todd, you know that if you REALLY have an Opus action figure, then Bill will want one, too. Just let me know if I need to put it on his Christmas list.

Terri Osburn said...

They have Opus action figures?! Does his butt fall off? That would be too funny.

Ooh, really? I'll get my own bootleg copy? Misty, you're my hero.

Todd said...

Well, it's not a "true" action figure... just a large plush... but if I move him around really fast..."ACTION, baby!"
(ok.. I know I'm really reaching...)

Terri Osburn said...

Dude - you need a hobby. Maybe get out of the house more...

Anonymous said...

Terrio, "A Wish for Wings That Work" Just arrived. We are watching it now!!!!!

Terri Osburn said...

You're not very nice.

And to think, I thought we should clone you once upon a time. I'm taking it all back now.

Anonymous said...

It was worth every penny to see Colin giggling like crazy watching it. He loves Bill the Cat!

Be nice and there may be something nice in your mail soon!

Terri Osburn said...

Have I mentioned how much I love this blog? You're really talented...

Hellie Sinclair said...

*ROTFLMAO* I love it! Actually my favorite "toy" as a kid was pinning sheets together and making tents in the living room and hiding out in them. Livingroom Clubhouse.

And I've never heard of Opus. I need to Google.

I loved boxes as a kid myself, but I attributed that to that my parents didn't have a baby bed when they brought me home from the hospital--so I slept in a cardboard box. Ah, country folks!

Anonymous said...

Opus was a part of the famous Bllom County comic strip. He then moved to "Outland" and was recently (what? 2 years ago?) revived in the "Opus" Sunday strip. Brilliant writing. The Bloom County stuff from the 80's was inredible. Right up there with Calvin and Hobbes.

Colin and I were hanging out in the living room and he made me make him a tent using a blanket and the couch and coffee table. He got under and quickly popped out claiming it was too dark.

While we were helping Misty clean out her class room I found some rubber gloves. I blew one up and drew a face on it. Airhead was born. He was really careful with Airhead. He wanted to make sure Airhead was safe to come home to become friends with Boxie. When we got home, Colin walked right past Hannah and took Airhead back to his room. We heard Colin's voice, "Hi my name is Boxie, what's yours?" "My name is Airhead." Hannah was about to fall out of the chair.

I just hope I can remember all of this stuff when he starts dating!

Terri Osburn said...

You can always just send his dates to this blog. All this will be saved here forever. LOL!

I didn't know they brought Opus back. I need to start checking out the Sunday paper.

Anonymous said...

http://www.comics.com/wash/opus/index.html

and for classic fun...
http://www.gocomics.com/bloomcounty/